A Look Inside Reynolds Renovations

There have been a few surprises. Nothing completely out of the ordinary, of course, though the decades-old box of uneaten peanuts kind of threw the contractors off for a few seconds.

Three months into the first major renovation of Reynolds Coliseum since it opened in 1949, everything is on schedule. Ductwork in the hallways of the upper concourse has been removed, prepping for the first permanent air-conditioning system the old building has ever had.

More than 3,000 original seats have been removed from the north end, and are currently on sale as souvenirs through the Wolfpack Club.

inside reynolds embed 3There were a few interesting finds in the old air ducts: newspapers from the 1950s, receipts from Ice Capades shows and an Andy Williams concert in the 1960s, a program for a gay and lesbian rally in 1979 and a few more current ROTC brochures.

Trash or treasure, of course, is in the eye of the beholder.

The permanent wooden floor, installed in 2005, has been removed, revealing the old rubberized Tartan surface that was installed just after head coach Norm Sloan led the Wolfpack men’s basketball team to the school’s first national championship.

For the first time in years, the unique Block S that was a Reynolds trademark was visible again.

The inch-thick surface, poured over concrete and made with trace amounts of mercury, is impossible to remove, so it will be covered again by a new hardwood floor.

There are still a few remnants of the old ice-making equipment that was originally installed in Reynolds when it opened as the South’s first skating rink. That equipment was removed just four or five years later because the humidity in the building caused ceiling tiles to break loose and fall to the floor.

inside reynolds embed 2There was one curiosity that few people remembered other than longtime golf coach Richard Sykes, who also once served as the manager for game-day operations at Reynolds. There was a hinged section of seats on the upper westside concourse that could be jacked up to allow entry for oversized objects, such as the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Baily circus elephants that made an annual trip to Reynolds for decades.

Several interior walls have been removed, including those for the old media room and ROTC classrooms. Other walls will come down in coming weeks and a concrete-eating piece of heavy equipment will begin chomping on the upper grandstands in the north end.

Once demolition concludes, work will begin to renovate the coliseum, moving the permanent basketball floor to the south end and turning the north end into the first home for the NC State Athletic Hall of Fame and the Walk of Champions and History project. Women’s basketball, volleyball and the ROTC programs will get new offices. Follow the progress of the renovation on GoPack.com’s facility enhancement page.

The $35 million project to improve the multi-use facility, which opened in 1949, is expected to be complete in August 2016.

9 responses on “A Look Inside Reynolds Renovations

1. Darren Ley says:

Behind the top row of the upper deck seats, there were windows along the sides of the coliseum that were boarded up in the last renovation. Will those be uncovered in this renovation?

2. Will says:

Sad to hear that the old floor will simply be covered up again. Lot of history there.

I’d love to see some windows opened up around the top of the building to let some natural light in.

1. Jerry Jones says:

Definitely!!

3. Mike Yuhas says:

Down in the basement of Reynolds there was an area set aside as a fallout shelter. It had canned water and food that was pretty old when I saw it in 1976. I think that it was removed several years ago now, but the fallout shelter signs remained on the side of the building for quite some time.

4. Jerry Jones says:

cheered many games here!! Saw Ronald Reagan when I was a registered republican. Great memories; Valvano, Kay… Looking forward to the improvements!!

5. Brenda says:

How could I name a favorite moment. There really is no way. Yet I can say from the time I worked in Reynolds Equipment room from 1982-2010. So many wonderful student-Athletes, Coaches, Trainers, Managers and visiting teams and coaches that pass by my door and visited in my office during those years has a footprint on my Heart and as they say “Everyone I met in Reynolds during that time was either a Blessing or a Lesson”. The Building would never be as famous or mean as much if it were not for all those people who walk the halls, competed on the court or made History . The players and Coaches Their Foot Prints are what makes Reynolds Colsieum what it is today or was. Started to mention names but that would take too long and plus would not want to leave someone out for those whose Footprints are in the Halls and the stories the walls in the basement of The Equipment room, Training Room, Strenght & Conditioning offices and Facility staff, locker rooms could tell and we had Highlight video of all the “Fun” had by all in those rooms would be Inspirational at times, comedy at times, and the Love and team bonding that took place. So no matter where we are those who had the awesome opportunity to work in Reynolds Colsieum will forever be bonded. So my wish is for The New Reynolds Coaches, and staff and their times will be as special, History and moments to cherish like the people did in Old Reynolds. I Thank God He allow my Path to be a Journey Through Reynolds Equipment Room and have those great Highlight memories in my Heart and mind. So that is my most memorable moment. All my Moments in Reynolds whether their where Joyof Victories or tears of Defeat shared with teams locker rooms housed in Reynolds . As I see the photos it is with special thoughts and smile .

6. Larry Roberts says:

GREAT MEMORIES in Reynolds Coliseum:
    Attending 4-H Week, Ice Capades, Circus, Friends of the Colege concerts, Basketball, My Graduation, My Son’s Graduation, Political Campaigns, ROTC and many others. My favorite memeory-watching the “Dixie Classics” with my father during the 50’s.

7. Jay Collins says:

Some things should not be touched…this was one of them. There were 3 basketball shrines in this world; Reynolds, Carmichael, and Cameron.

UNC did not destroy Carmichael and Duke will not destroy Cameron. There will probably be a coack k facility at some point like the Dean Dome, but what was will always be because it is so important. NC State basketball has faded into obscurity and it is a shame. The most shameful part is paving over the greatest basketball tradition in the country in the process. Carolina and Duke are not erasing their hallowed grounds, why is State?

Whiteville Wolfpack