National Initiative Seeks Researchers to Study Women and Girls of Color

Photo credit: Steven Depolo. Retrieved via Flickr and shared under a Creative Commons license. Click for more information.

NC State University is recruiting researchers from all disciplines to participate in a national initiative aimed at increasing research that focuses on women and girls of color. The recruitment comes in advance of a conference on the issue that will be held at Wake Forest University next month.

Blair Kelley
Blair Kelley

As part of a five-year, White House-led initiative, titled the Collaborative to Advance Equity through Research, NC State has launched the Growing Research On Women of color (GROW) Project.

“We are reaching out to all faculty who engage in research – from biomedical engineering and human health, to communication and social sciences, to history and the humanities,” says Blair LM Kelley, who is leading the GROW Project at NC State.

“If you are interested in pursuing research questions that focus on women and girls from under-represented groups, this is an opportunity to identify potential partners for interdisciplinary collaboration and to secure funding to support that research,” says Kelley, who is assistant dean for interdisciplinary studies and international programs in NC State’s College of Humanities and Social Sciences.

Interested researchers should contact Kelley directly by completing the GROW Project google form (users will need to access the Google form from the same browser where they are logged in to their ncsu.edu email account).

Kelley plans to hold informational meetings for interested parties in advance of the Advancing Justice for Women and Girls of Color Conference being held at Wake Forest April 28 and 29. The conference should serve as an opportunity for researchers to explore related research ideas and identify possible research collaborators.

“This initiative is a chance to evaluate what we know – and what we need to know – about a population that has long been overlooked by researchers of all disciplines,” Kelley says. “I’m excited to explore the possibilities of collaboration across disciplines and institutions. We’re expecting to identify new research questions and ideas that have the potential to benefit women and girls for generations.”

NC State announced its participation in the Collaborative to Advance Equity through Research in early February. The collaborative currently consists of more than 40 institutions which have, as of early January, committed more than $50 million to research on and by women and girls of color at their own institutions. Kelley says the collaborative expects to reach 50 members with a collective commitment of at least $100 million by this summer.

71 responses on “National Initiative Seeks Researchers to Study Women and Girls of Color

1. Wanda Franklin, PhD, Rn says:

Hello Fellow Researcher,
    How can a researcher get involved who is not at a research intensive college , but a small private, liberal arts college?

1. Matt Shipman says:

I’m replying on behalf of Blair Kelley. Thank you for your interest in the GROW Project and the Collaborative to Advance Equity through Research. GROW is only open to faculty and students currently at NC State, but there may be opportunities for your campus to join the Collaborative. Please visit the main site: http://www.equitythroughresearch.com/#about and click on “Join” to find out more information about making your campus part of the Collaborative.

2. Elaine Richardson says:

Hello,
    I have submitted to participate in the Advancing Justice for Women and Girls Conference. I have also been invited to participate in the Wash. DC meeting on 4-11-16. How do I get my university involved in the consortium? Thank you, Dr. Elaine Richardson
    Professor of Literacy Studies, The Ohio State University.

3. Theresa Flowers says:

I am interested! I am currently collecting data for my dissertation which focuses on Black experiences in PhD programs.

4. Eileen Je says:

Are Canadian researchers allowed to participate?

5. Alma Flores says:

Hi,

I am wondering how we can get involved if we are not students at NC State.

Thank you!

6. Janet Haynes, EdD says:

Tried your Google link which states “permission required.” This is an area of ongoing interest which was formalized in the 2002 doctoral dissertation, “African American Women and The Corporation.” At your convenience I am interested in learning more.

1. Jessica Lavariega Monforti says:

Ditto for me….

2. Matt Shipman says:

7. Krystol Diggs says:

My name is Krystol Diggs and I am interested in being a researcher. I am currently in school for my PhD in Educational Psychology. I am unable to fill out the form needs.

All the best,

Krystol Diggs

8. Alana Gunn says:

Hello:

I am a professor at Binghamton University, would I be eligible to participate in the GROW project intiative?

9. Prudence Layne says:

Dr. Kelley, hello.
    I was wondering whether the GROW project is exclusively for NCSU or if you would welcome other institutional participants? I’m in the English Department at Elon University. Thanks
    Prudence Layne

10. juanita r says:

Is this program limited to NC State participants only/

11. Cristina Serrano says:

Greetings,
    I am a PhD student with emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology. I am approaching my dissertation phase whereby my topic is women in leadership. My professional experience is in Accounting, Finance, and Business Process Improvement. Please advice on the next steps to be considered as a researcher for this initiative.
    Best regards,
    Cristina Serrano

1. Matt Shipman says:

Hi Cristina – if you’re in the IOP program at NC State, please reach out to Dr. Kelley directly. You can find her contact information in the university directory. I’m replying on behalf of Blair Kelley. GROW is only open to faculty and students currently at NC State, but if you are a student elsewhere there may be opportunities for your campus to join the Collaborative. Please visit the main site: http://www.equitythroughresearch.com/#about and click on “Join” to find out more information about making your campus part of the Collaborative.

12. Christa J. Porter, PhD says:

Hi Blair,

I am just seeing this post on someone’s facebook page. Are you still receiving proposals for the conference and/or research initiative? I would love to submit for both.

My research interests consist of the socialization processes, achievement, and identity development of Black women in the academy (primarily undergraduate), and the administrative structures and policies that facilitate or hinder their success.

I current as an Assistant Professor in Higher, Adult, and Lifelong Education at Michigan State University.

I look forward to hearing from you!
    Christa
    cjporter@msu.edu or christaj.porter@gmail.com
    517-712-3448

13. Juanita Braxton says:

Interested in participating. Thanks. my focus is adolescent hypertension.

14. Ola Rostant says:

Interested

15. Dr. Avon Hart-Johnson says:

I am interested in researching Women of color. I can not seem to open the form.

Dr. Avon Hart-Johnson

16. Danielle Beysolow says:

Thank you for sharing Matt. I am an NC State alumna, and I’m now earning my PhD at Temple University. A few peers of mine and I are intrigued by this project and this subject is our passion. Unfortunately, the google form won’t accept submissions from non-NC State email addresses. How can I get more information?

Best,
    Dani Beysolow, M.Ed

17. Angela Clack says:

Hello,
    I am no longer employed at a University setting but I am interested in participating in the research as a private practitioner who works directly with the population. I was not able to access the GROW link as advised above.

18. Redgina Jean-Paul says:

Graduating in May in Sociology and Anthropology and very very interested. Is there any way to get more information? Also, are Canadians allowed to partake?

19. Tyasha Ford says:

Hello,

I am a college student and would like to know if internships could be offered to students who are interested. My passion is to see the advancement of WOC and I would like to be involved.

Best,

Interested Student

20. Dr. Amira M. Davis says:

Greetings. I’m interested. I’m an independent scholar, mother and grandmother who has done arts based work with mothers and intergenerational groups of African American women and girls as research and transformative praxis. I’d like to do work in my current community among low-income mothers. How can I get involved? In peace, Amira M. Davis, EdM, PhD

21. Toshi Francis says:

I am currently in the dissertation phase of my program. My research focus is on women in leadership. I would love to participate in this research with my fellow experts.

22. Isi Ero-Tolliver says:

Hello,
    as an assistant professor with a background in biological sciences and science education, this is of great interest to me. I am interested in participating as a collaborator in this important and timely research opportunity. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.
    Isi Ero-Tolliver, Ph.D.

23. Erin Stephens says:

I am a sociologist and work with the organization The Beautiful Project (thebeautifulproject.org) and are interested in learning more this research opportunity. The google form isn’t working but we hope we can learn more (and plan to be at the April conference!).

24. Dawn Henderson says:

I am interested in this work and I am not affiliated with NC State but at another institution. How do I get involved in this work?

25. Kanisha Coleman says:

I’m interested as well. I’m a PhD student at UNC studying the experiences of black children in the child welfare system. My email is: klc90@live.unc.edu. Thanks.

26. Stasia Herbert-McZeal, PhD says:

I am interested in this research opportunity. However, I cannot open the Google form. Could you send information?

27. Blair LM Kelley says:

Thank you all for your interest in the GROW Project and the Collaborative to Advance Equity through Research. GROW is only open to faculty and students currently at NC State, but there may be opportunities for your campus to join the Collaborative. Please visit the main site: http://www.equitythroughresearch.com/#about and click on “Join” to find out more information about making your campus part of the Collaborative.

Best,

Blair LM Kelley

28. Nakeshia Williams says:

Hello. I am interested in participating in researching Women and girls of color. My focus is on media literacy and adolescent girls’ global and academic self-concept. I can not seem to open the form.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best,

Nakeshia Williams, Ph.D. Candidate

29. Jaye Nias says:

Hello. I am a computer science faculty at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. I am interested in participating in this initiative. Jaye Nias, D.Sc.

30. Angela Waiters Jackson says:

I am interested in getting additional information about this initiative. I am currently pursuing my EdD at Liberty University. I am currently in the dissertation proposal stage looking at black educators and their impact on students of color pursuing Gifted and Talented Education.

31. Kyoung-yim Kim, Ph.D. says:

I am a sociologist and am working on women of color and sport. I’d like to learn more about the collaboration.

32. Duchess Harris says:

I am interested in being a researcher. My current interest is The Human Computer Project.

I have also written four books.

2015 Black Lives Matter (Special Reports), ABDO Publishing ISBN-10: 1624038980
    ISBN-13: 978-1624038983 (co-authored with Sue Bradford Edwards)

2011 Black Feminist Politics from Kennedy to Obama, Palgrave Macmillan, 2nd Edition, ISBN-10: 0230112552, ISBN-13: 978-0230112551

2009 Black Feminist Politics from Kennedy to Clinton, Palgrave Macmillan, 1st Edition, ISBN-10: 0230613306, ISBN-13: 978-0230613300

2009 Racially Writing the Republic: Racists, Race Rebels, and Transformations of American Identity (co-edited with Bruce D. Baum), Duke University Press, ISBN 978-0-8223-4435-3.

33. Yolanda De Loera says:

Hello my name is Yolanda De Loera and I am currently working on my dissertation, which focuses on first generation Latinas/ Chicanas. I am extremely interested in this inactive, however am unable to compete the form. Would love to receive more information regarding how I can participate. Thank you.

Best regards,

Yolanda De Loera

34. Dr. Francisca I. Omorodion says:

I am a woman of color but teaching at a Canadian University. As a Canadian scholar, can I be involved?

35. Matt Shipman says:

36. Geneva Osawe says:

Hello, I am working on my PhD dissertation at Capella and my total professional career has been working with inner city urban poor Black females and their involvement in child protective services. How could be involved

37. Briana Lanier says:

Hello, I am currently a Prospect Research Analyst in Advancement Services (University Advancement) but recently graduated from UNC Charlotte with Bachelor degrees in Psychology and Sociology. I have research experience, and I am extremely interested in the GROW Project. Am I still eligible to apply even though I’m not working or a student in an academic department at the moment? I would be appreciative of any role and involvement in the project.

Briana Lanier

38. David Sparks says:

I am an Assistant Professor in Texas. Is this project only open to professors at NC State?
    Thanks,
    Dr. David Sparks
    University of Texas at Arlington

39. Cheryl Armstead, Ph.D. University of South Carolina says:

I am very interested in your initiative, as director of the Health Equity Laboratory, here at USC. My work largely focuses on African American women and health disparities. I think this is a great way to make changes systemically and to build networks. I’m definitely interested in participating.

Warm Regards,
    Cheryl Armstead, MS(R), Ph.D.