Longtime Voice of NC State Dies at 91

The voice of Reynolds Coliseum has echoed into eternity: C.A. Dillon, the public address announcer for four of NC State’s home basketball arenas who was known as the “Soul of Reynolds Coliseum,” died peacefully Thursday morning at his home in Raleigh. He was 91.

Dillon took his seat behind the microphone in 1946 at Thompson Gymnasium, with a personal invitation from new head coach Everett Case. He moved over the years with the teams and the next six basketball coaches to Raleigh’s downtown auditorium, Reynolds Coliseum for the entirety of its 50 years and two games in what is now PNC Arena before retiring after 53 years of service to the program.

His smooth baritone voice was distinctive and welcoming, and his friendly demeanor was disarming to game officials and opposing coaches. He opened nearly every game with these words: “Good evening, ladies and gentlemen and welcome to William Neal Reynolds Coliseum. Tonight North Carolina State University is pleased to host as its guest the basketball team from … ”

A banner representing his honored microphone hangs from the rafters of PNC and he is remembered in a display at the newly refurbished Reynolds Coliseum, which he toured the day it reopened last fall.

Dillon, like senior associate athletics director Frank Weedon, was an encyclopedia of knowledge about Red Terror and Wolfpack basketball, beginning with his days as the sports editor of Technician, NC State’s student newspaper, during World War II. He was a 1947 graduate of the school with a degree in mechanical engineering.

From 1946-85, he missed exactly two games behind the mic: one for his honeymoon and one when his mother died. He missed more after ’85, when games sometimes conflicted with his Monday night Bible study.

Born May 26, 1925, Clyde Alvin Dillon Jr. was the son of an NC State alum and the founder of Dillon Supply Company, a downtown Raleigh industrial supply company where he served as president until he retired in 1990.

Dillon served NC State in multiple capacities besides his work with basketball. He was the P.A. announcer for football games at Carter-Finley Stadium from 1970-99, and on more than a few radio broadcasts. He filled in as play-by-play announcer for a local radio station when the Wolfpack made its first appearance at the Final Four in 1950. Dillon never let Weedon live down the fact that when the Wolfpack Radio Network was formed in 1961 Dillon was fired as a radio broadcaster.

He was a member of the NC State Board of Trustees from 1973-83, president of the Alumni Association from 1970-71 and campaign chair and Wake County fundraiser for the Wolfpack Club.

A frequent member of search committees, he helped hire football coaches Lou Holtz, Bo Rein and Monte Kiffin and chancellors Joab Thomas and Bruce Poulton.

Last Friday, Dillon and his wife Mildred celebrated their 61st anniversary. He is survived by his five children, 16 grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Funeral arrangements are pending.

12 responses on “Longtime Voice of NC State Dies at 91

1. Jackson Stancil says:

He forever will be the Voice of the Pack!

2. Richard Shore says:

A really great man and great Wolfpacker ! C A will be missed by all of the Wolfpack family.

3. Robert Kennel says:

C.A. Dillon Jr. IS NC State FOREVER !!!!
    Go Pack !

4. Lisa says:

Voice of the Wolfpack, along with Bill Jackson and Wally Ausley on the radio. Gosh, his voice rings in my memory and I will always love that!

5. David Phipps says:

I can still hear him and it fills my eyes with tears and my heart with pride.

6. David K. Lee says:

He was a wonderful man, and a faithful follower of his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

7. ray branson says:

Never forget going to games at Reynolds when he announced the starting lineups. This was always one of my favorite parts of the game. His voice was magical. I first heard him as kid in the 80’s and then got to here him many times as a student in the 90’s. I knew a guy in my hometown that had classes with him when he was a student at NC State.

8. Earle & Sara Finley says:

C.A. Dillon leaves a legacy that modeled humility, love of The Lord Jesus Christ, his sweet
    Wife, Mildred, their five children, sixteen grandchildren, many who loved and respected his servants heart and yes, NC State University! Heaven’s gain is our loss.

9. Lyn says:

I still hear that distinctive – – “Chuck-EEEEE Brooown..” He made the game so much fun to listen to over the radio. A true Southern Gentleman.

1. David says:

I’m met Chucky Brown one time and did my CA Dillon impression… saying his name exactly how you described. Chucky loved it.

2. ray branson says:

Lyn

I enjoyed listening to games on the radio when I was growing in North Carolina. His voice brings back many childhood memories. I hardly ever missed a game on WPTF. I do not live locally, so I still occasionally listen to home games on satellite radio if they are not on TV.

10. Allen Neal Thompson says:

I was there as a student for the first game in Reynolds in 1949, and before that at Thompson gymnasium. Everett Case dominated the game like nothing since, and C A Dillon was the constant voice of the glory days. R.I.P.