Skip to main content

Poole College Offers Free Tax Sessions

The NC State University Poole College of Management is hosting free income tax preparation assistance sessions for the 2017 income tax return season. The service is offered through the IRS-certified Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. Poole College student volunteers in the college’s bachelor of accounting degree program completed training session and will be providing assistance on four Saturdays during this tax season, with faculty supervision provided by Ernest Carraway, a lecturer in the college’s Department of Accounting.

The VITA team will be helping individuals to complete their income tax returns using the MyFreeTaxes online system. This VITA site will not be able to prepare 1040NR returns and there is an income limit of $64,000 for free filing. Non-resident alien students can visit NC State’s Office of International Services < NC State’s Office of International Services > for more information on how to file taxes

The help sessions will be held in Nelson Hall room B400 from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. on the following Saturdays: Feb. 11, Feb. 25, March 18 and April 8.

Participants should enter Nelson B400 from the campus side of Nelson Hall (southwest corner). Look for a lawn sign marking the entrance. Nelson Hall is located at 2801 Founders Drive, on the campus side of the intersection of Hillsborough Street and Dan Allen Drive. No appointments are required or allowed as service is provided on a first-come, first-served basis.

This program is made available through a partnership between United Way and H&R Block.

Following are documents that participants must bring with them when coming to the tax return help session:

  • Proof of identification (photo ID)
  • Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statements (Forms W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • All Forms 1095, Health Insurance Statements
  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
  • Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
  • Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
  • Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
  • Form 1098-T for scholarship and education tax benefits
  • University statements including tuition paid for the year, scholarships received and receipts for books and other required educational expenses.