The Memorial Tower was built to remember the NC State students and alumni who served and sacrificed during the First World War. Thirty-four names of those who died during the great global conflict are etched in the small chapel inside the base of the 112-foot structure, plus one more to represent the unnamed service of the student body and alumni.
Begun in 1921, construction on the Belltower continued for the next quarter century. It was officially dedicated on Nov. 11, 1949.
This year, as the United States celebrates the 100th anniversary of the war’s end, NC State remembers its commitment and contributions to the war, when the school was turned into a military training school and nearly 1,900 students and staff volunteered or were drafted into military service.
On May 1, 2018, NC State solemnly remembered that service with a full military ceremony at the Belltower, including a jet fighter flyover, a 21-gun salute and remembrance from current and retired military leaders.