Wolfpack Wrapped: Your 2023 in Review
Before we ring in the new year together, let's look back on what our Wolfpack thought and did in 2023.
We’re wrapping up another year at NC State, and there are so many reasons to be proud of all that we’ve accomplished. Just like a perfectly curated playlist of your go-to music, we’ve put together this compilation of our greatest hits to help you pause and appreciate the year that’s passed, as we prepare to embrace the prospects of a new year ahead.
So pop in your headphones, hit play on your favorite song and enjoy these highlights from your 2023.
Your Year in Photos
They say a picture is worth 1,000 words. While we — the writers — are not always inclined to agree, it’s hard to deny when we look back on the year through the eyes of our staff photographers.
These snapshots were captured and hand-selected, just for you. Take a journey through twelve months of memories, and discover some things you may have missed.
Your Top News Stories
NC State News is your year-round source for insights and announcements coming out of our campus, and you helped us rack up over one million views on our stories this year.
In 2023, you celebrated our research successes and our rise in reputation, making these our five most popular news posts:
- Chemical Found in Common Sweetener Damages DNA
- Bacterium Associated With Disease Found in N.C. Chiggers
- Researchers Propose a Fourth Light on Traffic Signals — For Self-Driving Cars
- Graduate Programs Keep Climbing in Rankings
- NC State Continues To Rise in U.S. News Rankings
Your Most-Liked Posts on Social Media
We tell your stories across our social media channels all year long, and you send in your big moments for us to share far and wide. (Keep them coming in 2024!)
These were your favorite images from NC State’s Instagram account this year:
Our Wolfpack’s next chapter is only a few weeks away, so follow along with us to ensure you won’t miss a thing.
Your Listening Habits
It’s no secret that you’ve got great taste, Wolfpack. Whether you were crafting the ideal game day playlist or tuning in to one of our podcasts, we hope we earned a place in your Spotify Wrapped this year.
And we know you enjoyed listening to — and watching — Chancellor Randy Woodson sit down with members of our community for thoughtful conversations on Red Chair Chats, his interview series. This year’s lineup of guests was out of this world:
- NASA astronaut and alumna Christina Koch
- Cross-country and track and field coach Laurie Henes
- 321 Coffee founders Lindsay Wrege and Michael Evans
- College of Design professor Kofi Boone
(P.S. For those of you whose top artist for 2023 was Taylor Swift — you belong with us. Let’s cross our paws for Taylor’s version of our fight song in 2024.)
Your Year of Growing Our Wolfpack
In 2023, we graduated more members of the Wolfpack than ever before as we awarded 10,102 total degrees to 9,578 graduates. At the same time, we welcomed an even greater number of new students — 14,484 — as we continued to educate more North Carolinians than any other university.
14,484 Incoming Students
For the fourth year running, NC State welcomed its largest-ever incoming class.
9,578 Outgoing Graduates
These new grads are ready to bring their NC State education to the larger world.
10,102 Degrees Awarded
Many Wolfpack graduates earned more than one degree in 2023.
From some of the newest members of our Wolfpack to a few of the freshly minted graduates eager to apply our Think and Do mindset toward bold new endeavors, meet the students we profiled in 2023:
Your Support of Institutional Excellence
It’s been a year of growth and grit for our university, and those trends were reflected in the records we set, the victories we achieved and the milestones we surpassed.
- Since 2017, NC State has leaped more than 30 spots in U.S. News & World Report’s vaunted rankings of U.S. universities, and we continued our ascent in 2023, earning our best-ever rankings in this index — No. 60 in the nation and No. 28 among public universities.
- The Wolfpack’s fifth annual Day of Giving raised more than $34 million through 16,774 gifts — the most gifts we’ve ever received on a Day of Giving.
- Our women’s cross country team won its third straight national championship, while eight other NC State Athletics teams finished in the top 25 of their sport’s final rankings.
- Through partnerships old and new, we generated the largest royalty collection in the history of NC State’s licensing program — $2,577,563 in gross royalties for the 2022-23 fiscal year, an increase of 30% for this vital funding source that empowers our entire Wolfpack.
No. 28 Best Public University Nationally
NC State continued our remarkable rise among public universities throughout the U.S.
16,774 Gifts on Day of Giving
These gifts, totaling $34 million, amounted to the most NC State has ever received on a Day of Giving.
Three-Peat National Champions
NC State became the first school since 2007 to win three consecutive women’s cross country championships.
Your Focus on Wolfpack Wellness
In 2023, the Wolfpack prioritized well-being. With a dozen drop-in spaces, there were plenty of opportunities to reset and recharge. From crafting and horticulture therapy to nature walks and grief and loss support, there was a space for everyone. And to make finding help and community as easy as possible, we put together a filterable list of wellness resources across campus.
The Wolfpack’s efforts didn’t stop there. Pack Essentials and the Feed the Pack Food Pantry continued their tireless work to meet students’ basic needs.
- During the 2022-23 academic year, there was an 11% increase over the previous year in the amount of Pack Meal Share meals provided for students to eat in the dining halls.
- We debuted a new Pack Essentials Hub in April. Located in North Hall, the hub houses the Feed the Pack Food Pantry and offers a centralized location for essential needs, expanded resources and community building.
- We won the Pantry Bowl (again!). The Wolfpack collected 1,634 gifts and a monetary total of $125,162.15 — beating UNC-Chapel Hill two years running in the contest to combat food insecurity.
In 2023, the Wolfpack saw:
1,200+ Pack Essentials Applications
Pack Essentials supports students in need of food, housing, financial and educational security.
3,500+ Meal Share Meals
Through the Pack Meal Share program, students can donate guest dining hall swipes to fellow students in need.
Approximately $180,000 Awarded
The Student Emergency Fund exists to help students recover from unexpected financial crises.
12,389 Feed the Pack Pantry Visits
The Feed the Pack Pantry distributed over 192,000 pounds of food and health and hygiene items in 2023.
Quiz: Your Pack Persona
Our experts spent 2023 developing a rigorous, scientific and only slightly ice-cream-flavor-based method for determining your NC State archetype — a persona built from your favorite things about our beloved university, plus a little sprinkle of whimsy. (Okay, it’s mostly the whimsy.)
Take the quiz below to find out your Pack persona, and get connected with a bonus NC State story you might have missed this year.
Which Howling Cow flavor is your go-to?
Choose your most-loved Hallowed Place.
If you had to swim in an NC State body of water, which would you choose?
Which season is your favorite at NC State?
Pick an NC State icon.
Choose the aura that you vibe with the most.
Which Think and Do pun do you think NC State should trademark immediately?
In case you missed it, here's a 2023 story about the embedded counselors who work within each of our colleges, helping support our students where they are.
In case you missed it, here's a 2023 story about ways you can get involved in protecting the Earth here at NC State.
In case you missed it, here's a 2023 story about three women in student leadership positions who are shaping our campus community — and the world — for the better.
In case you missed it, here's a 2023 story about the hands-on opportunities for undergraduate research offered at NC State, and students who aren't waiting for graduate school to pursue their big ideas.
In case you missed it, here's a 2023 story about alumni who got engaged at our iconic Memorial Belltower, the campus space that's imbued with the most NC State spirit.
Share your Results:
(Want to share your results on social media? You can download your Pack Persona card below.)
We’re grateful for the triumphs and transformations our university saw this year — but most of all, we’re grateful for you, Wolfpack. Thank you for making our 2023 extraordinary, and cheers to the new adventures awaiting us in 2024.